- Ownership of content: This outlines who owns the content that is shared or included on your site. It also specifies how visitors can use or share that content. Often, it specifies whether your business owns all the content. And it specifies if and how users can legally use it.
- Limitation of liability: Even the best small business websites may include some errors or information that isn’t true for every person. This section alerts users that you cannot be held liable for inaccuracies or mistakes on your site. This is especially important for sites that include comments or user generated content, since it’s difficult for you to control everything that is posted.
- Copyright and trademark issues: Copyright and trademark issues may sometimes be included in the section about ownership of content and permitted use. However, it is essential to state specifically if you own a copyright or trademark over your content.
- Governing law: This section explains where your business is located and the law that you adhere to. Businesses in the U.S. may include a short section that explains that the policies outlined were created in compliance with U.S. law and the laws of your specific state.
If you’d prefer, you can also find plenty of templates online that give you the ability to view a full document and manually add information about your specific business. This may be the best option for those who want to maintain a lot of control over the specific content and wording. Here are a few of the most popular options available.
- Upcounsel. Upcounsel is a legal services website that offers a fill-in-the-blank template so you can easily add specific information about your business. Easily copy and paste the text into your site without going through a lengthy process.
- PandaDoc. PandaDoc offers a standard terms and conditions example that you can easily customize for your needs. It’s fairly basic, but includes many different sections so you can pick and choose the ones that your business really needs.
- TemplateLab. TemplateLab offers several different template options. So you can select the one that suits your business closely. Or you could even mix and match sections from different templates if you so choose. However with more than 40 free templates to choose from, you should be able to find at least one that gets close to your needs.